To celebrate the year moving towards the darker months, we have a special call for submissions: Tiny Terrors.
We are looking specifically for submissions in the following formats:
- Haiku (with a 5,7,5 syllable structure),
- Tanka (with a 5,7,5,7,7 syllable structure) and
- One Sentence Stories (with word counts of any length as long as they are readable and your story makes sense)
Any of the following themes and keywords:
- Ghost and Gothic
- Monster and paranormal
- Spooky and psychological
- Mystery, myth, folklore and legend
Submissions don’t have to be grizzly or full of gore. Neither do they have to be outright terrifying; subtlety will work just as well here.
Our usual submission guidelines don’t apply for this call. All you need to know can be found in this post
- Keywords and themes for this submissions call can be found above, under “Theme“.
- We are only accepting three types of format for this call: Haiku, Tanka and One Sentence Stories – see above for details, under “Format“
- Please send up to 5 haiku, tanka, one sentence stories or a combination of all three, in one email. Each accepted submission will be posted separately. Acceptance of one piece doesn’t mean all pieces will be accepted.
- Please don’t send anything that can be considered offensive. If you’re unsure, please ask. All work should be original. Please do not send us work that infringes another’s copyright – no song lyrics, no fan fiction, etc.
- All submissions must be sent in the body of an email to the address at the bottom of this page. No attachments please. They will be deleted, unread and unacknowledged.
- Include an author bio written in third person, of no more than 50 words, and accompanied by up to 2 links (blog, website, Facebook, Twitter, Wattpad, etc).
- Each piece submitted should have its own title. If no titles are provided, they will be given the unimaginative title of, “Untitled”.
- Linked pieces will be considered, but please be aware if multiple submissions are accepted they might not be posted consecutively. A link, however, will be included in follow-up pieces to the earlier part(s). For linked pieces to be accepted, each part must be able to stand as a complete story / poem on its own.
- Please state the following in the subject line: Tiny Terrors Submission – Your Name
- Submissions open: 01 September 2020
- Submissions close: 30 September 2020
- Accepted submissions will be posted on the site from early October 2020
- Whispers and Echoes is not a paying market. It’s free to submit to it, and the journal is free to read.
- Please send your submission to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.